Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Any completed form or request for a permit or license may be dropped off at the finance office in city hall during business hours or in the drop box at city hall after hours. City hall is located on Main Street. Business hours are Monday-Thursday 7 AM-4:15 PM and Friday 7 AM- Noon.

Completed forms or requests may also be mailed, faxed or emailed.

  • Mailing address: City of Canistota PO Box 67 Canistota, SD 57012
  • Fax: 605-296-3562
  • Email: [email protected]

Building Permit

Taken from the Zoning Ordinances:

No new development, change of use, or other action which may be regulated by the provisions of this ordinance shall occur without a permit issued by the Zoning Administrator. 

All such permits shall be accompanied by plans drawn to scale, showing the actual dimensions and shape of the lot to be built upon; the exact sizes and locations on the lot of buildings already existing, if any; and the location and dimensions of the proposed building or alteration. The application shall include such other information as lawfully may be required to determine conformance with and provide for the enforcement of this ordinance.

If you have any questions regarding building permits please contact Darin Nugteren at 605-296-3052 or 605-530-1593.

Building Permit


Pet tags are available at the finance office. All pets must be licensed. The fee to license a pet is $10. Proof of rabies vaccination is required. Pet licenses expire every January.

Grass and Leaf Permit

Residential and commercial grass and leaf permits are available at the finance office. Residential permits are $20. Commercial permits are $100.00. Permits allow residential and commercial owners unlimited dumping of grass, leaves and twigs only. There is now available an "all access" pass for a fee of $40.00.  This pass allows you to dispose of all items that the City of Canistota can accept in our landfill.  Absolutely NO tires, paint, shingles, or any other items deemed unacceptable according to DENR Guidelines.

Complaint Form

To make a formal complaint regarding nuisances, etc., fill out the complaint form and return to the finance office. Complaints will then be addressed by the Code Enforcement Officer for the City of Canistota.

Complaint Form

Job Application Form